Spring 2016 Once On This Island
Set in the mystique of the French Antilles archipelago in the Carribbean Sea, this beloved musical weaves elements of the Romeo and Juliet story and of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale The Little Mermaid. With almost non-stop dance and music, Once On This Island, Jr., lights up the stage with the tale a young peasant girl who uses the power of love call upon the forces of the gods to wield her future and affect the divide of an Island with two different worlds and social classes.
Directed by Daena Santoyo
Assistant Director Megg Sicotte-Kelly
TIGERS CAST (Youth Performances): May 6, 7, 8
Friday 6pm, Saturday 2pm & 6pm, Sunday 2:30pm
LIONS CAST (Youth Performances): May 13, 14, 15
Friday 6pm, Saturday 2pm & 6pm, Sunday 2pm
Select Seating $12
(First come, first serve seating in the first 2 rows A & B)
General Seating $10
(First come, first serve seating in rows C through G)
ALL TICKET SALES ARE FINAL. NO REFUNDS. ALL WILL-CALL TICKETS MUST BE CLAIMED BY START OF SHOW (showtime). ANY TICKETS NOT CLAIMED BY START OF SHOW WILL BE RELEASED TO GUESTS ON OUR WAITING LIST. OYES THEATRE IS A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE SEATING FACILITY. PLEASE ARRIVE EARLY SO YOU MAY FULLY ENJOY YOUR LIVE THEATRICAL EXPERIENCE. LATE SEATING MAY NOT BE ACCOMMODATED.
ABOUT THE PRODUCTION
MUSICAL: Once On This Island, Jr
YOUTH age 7-15|| EXTENDED Audition JAN 20|| START JAN 18th
TOTS age 4-6 – Starts 1/27
A HEART-WARMING CARIBBEAN INSPIRED MUSICAL based Hans Christian Andersen’s magical tale of love — From the TONY Award-winning songwriting team of Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (Ragtime and Seussical) — 8 TONY nominations, including Best Musical, Book and Score!
This full-hearted musical tells the story of Ti Moune, a peasant girl who rescues and falls in love with Daniel, a wealthy boy from the other side of her island. When Daniel is returned to his people, the fantastical gods who rule the island guide Ti Moune on a quest that will test the strength of her love against the powerful forces of prejudice, hatred, and even death.
OYES’ youth theatre program encourages CONFIDENCE, COMMUNICATION, CREATIVITY AND FUN! QUESTIONS: email firstname.lastname@example.org Call 805-646-4300
REHEARSAL & PERFORMANCE CALENDAR
- LIONS PERFORMANCE CAST – AGE 7-15: Mondays, 3:00pm-5:00pm + additional dress rehearsals TBA
- TIGERS PERFORMANCE CAST – AGE 7-15: Tuesdays, 4:00pm-6:00pm **NEW TIME** + additional dress rehearsals TBA
- (AUDITIONS CLOSED) PERFORMANCE COMPANY AGE 12-17 (younger students accepted at discretion of director): Mondays, 5pm-7:30pm *Performance Company will require additional rehearsal dates in the month of May
- TOTS – AGE 4-6: Wednesdays, 3:30-4:20pm (50-minute class) — class starts JAN 27
BOOK YOUR AUDITION AT TIME OF REGISTRATION
- Performance Company AGE 12-17: JAN 12th, 3pm-5pm (AUDITIONS CLOSED)
- Lions Cast AGE 7-11: JAN 13th, 3pm-5pm
- Tigers Cast AGE 7-11: JAN 14th, 3pm-5pm
- TOTS – no audition / class starts JAN 27
- WEDNESDAY, JAN 20 3pm-5pm – LAST DAY TO AUDITION – FEATURED/ENSEMBLE ROLES FOR ALL CASTS
TWO AUDITION SONGS HAVE BEEN SELECTED. PREPARE TO SING BOTH TRACKS FOR THE AUDITION.
Audition song required. Optional dance, movement, monologue (30-sec memorized) accepted, but not required.
- Performance Company: APR 29, 30, MAY 1 (Fri, Sat, Sun) (AUDITIONS CLOSED)
- Tigers Cast: MAY 5-7 (Thu, Fri, Sat)
- Lions Cast: MAY 13-15 (Fri, Sat, Sun)
- TOTS MAY 15
TICKETS TO ALL PERFORMANCES WILL BE $10/$12
AVAILABLE THROUGH WWW.BrownPaperTickets.Com
YOUTH PROGRAM TUITION FEES (AGE 7+) REGISTER HERE
Performance Company, Lions Cast, Tigers Cast
- $295 Early Registration (NOW – DEC 15th)
- $325 Regular Registration (DEC 13th-JAN 11th) — EXTENDED TO JAN 20
- $365 Late Registration JAN (12th or later)
TOTS PROGRAM TUITION FEES (AGE 4-6)
- $295 Registration (NOW – JAN 15th) REGISTER HERE
COSTUMES: OYES does not guarantee provision of costumes. Some items may require purchase.
TICKETS: Tickets for ALL shows are $10.
TECH WEEK: NO ABSENCES permitted during the week leading up to performances.
CANCELLATION POLICY: No refunds or credit for cancellations made after DEC 15, 2015. Tuition credit with $50 fee cancelled within 48 hours of registration on or before DEC 12, 2015.
MORE ABOUT THE SHOW